Saturday, March 10, 2012

Two Friends, A Miracle, Five Countries, and More Dreams -- Brussels

I do realize that it has been a looooong time since I updated my posts. Désoléééééééééé..... :P

Btw, lets just get on with our next destination, here we go..... BRUSSELSSSS!!!

Eventhough we were a bit rushed, and almost about to miss our bus from Rotterdam to Brussels, well, we made it, barely! haha.. We left Rotterdam at 9 am, and arrived at Brussels at about 11 am. An Indonesian friend who lives in Brussels, was so kind to pick us up, give us a free guided tour, and give us a free couch to crush in to during our stay in Brussels. Nice! :D

First thing we did after got off the bus was get something to eat. We were starviiing! T_T Mbak Nawang, this friend I'm talking about, took us to the nearest chicken restaurant. It was kinda weird cause they served the chicken with rice, just like in Indonesia. And one great thing is, I can again speak french! honestly, I dont speak french much, but it was a relief, cause I started to get used to speak french.

After feeling all full, Mbak Nawang suggested us to put our stuffs in her friend's house who lived nearby, so we could right away go sight see Brussels. This friend was called Mas Aris (I havent asked him permission to put his name in here, but I guess he will forgive me for that :P). Even though we just knew them, both Mbak Nawang and Mas Aris had been such good friends during our stay there, like we had known them for a long time before. We were really grateful to have them there with us. :) Terima kasih mbak Nawaaang.. mas Ariisss.. :D

So, the first place they took us to was to the Grand Place. The Grand Place is the central square of Brussels. We were so lucky to come during Christmas holidays, it was gorgeous in there, along with the christmas decorations, the christmas market (Marché  de Noel) which brings a whole different christmas vibe there.

Grand Place

human statues
 


Evrard 't Serclaes
This Evrard't Serclaes monument was crafted in the 19th century by Julien Dillens. There is a myth that says if we rubbed the wrist of the figure it will brings good luck and grant the fulfillment of wishes.




















Seafood restaurants. Around the Grand Place, there were so many typical French seafood restaurants. Eating seafood in french custom means you eat the clams and the like, fresh from the shells with some drops of lemon juice. Um, not sure though whether I would enjoy that.. :P





Marche de Noel, or Christmas market. 










In the Grand Place, annually, they held a light and music show in the middle of it. It was one of the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. They had this light show, like falling snowflakes or flying reindeers, casted on the buildings, accompanied by classical music, like those of Tchaikovky's. If I had more time, I think I would love to just sit there and watch it for the whole night. It was really beautiful that it just left me speechless. Did I already say that it was really beautiful? :P


This is only one little bit of the show I'm talking about. I wish I could upload a more sophisticated video, but c'est la vie; you can't get everything you want! I guess.. :P

Maneken Pis (The Peeing Boy)
Despite its famous name, this statue is really small, kinda far from my expectation. LOL I still had to fight a bit though to take picture in front of it.




And..... The Peeing Girl - Jeanneke Pis
Not a lot of people know that besides Maneken Pis, there is also Jeanneke Pis. This statue was located kinda far from the Maneken Pis, and in an end of an alley. I heard that this statue was made for the sake of gender equality, which left me a little bit bizzared.




Getting around Brussels
After touring around the Grand Place, being really full of Belgium famous waffle (yummy!), we went to go look around Brussels. Here are the pictures! :)




























the Royal Palace

Neuhauss Chocolate Factory
Belgium is famous for its chocolate. And I am addicted to chocolate. And we went to this Neuhauss Chocolate Factory. And they had free chocolate tastings. And they sell less pricey chocolate. IT WAS HEAVEN!! I ended up really stuffed by tons of chocolate, and brought home 3 kgs of chocolate for 30 euros. :D















And the last one... Atomium
Atomium is like the Eiffel Tower for Paris. Even though not as famous, but it has been a famous landmark for Brussels. Quoting from the Wikipedia, it was :
"originally built for Expo '58, the 1958 Brussels World's Fair. Designed by André Waterkeyn and Les Architectes Polak, it stands 102 metres (335 ft) tall. It has nine steel spheres connected so that the whole forms the shape of a unit cell of aniron crystal magnified 165 billion times."











After visiting Atomium, we had to rush to the station, to catch our bus to our next destination. It was a great experience. Even though we should have more time to visit and see everything in Brussels, well, I guess I just have to come back someday! :D 

Well, see you on my next post, on our next destination: PRAGUE!! 

No comments: